Midi Music playing is "The Air That I Breathe" by Albert Louis Hammond/Michael Hazlewood

Scroll down for an update one year later!

"Sometimes, all I need is the air that I breathe
And to love you.
All I need is the air that I breathe,
Yes, to love you.
All I need is the air that I breathe."

Baby Harley is suffering from a curable, but expensive, puppy bacterial disease called
Puppy Strangles.

10 week old Bichon puppy, "Harley" is fighting for his life at the University of Minnesota School of Veterinary Medicine Intinsive Care Unit. Baby Harley was rushed to the vet school's emergency clinic, late Saturday night where a tracheostomy tube had to be inserted as he was not breathing. The vets there tell us that if we can pull him though this infection, he can have a normal life after he recovers. The prognosis is very good. The estimate of the cost to save this little boy's life is between $2300.00 and $2500.00.

This is one of the sores on his ears. He is on strong antibiotics and pain medicine. They assure me he is in no pain. This is what one of his vets, Dr. Heather Yuill writes...
"Hi Robin! Here are the pictures of your little Harley. You can see his
tracheostomy tube in several of the photos. You can also see the hair loss
and red, irritated skin on his face and ears from the infection. This
afternoon he went into a little couging fit and managed to pop out his
tube. He had a very hard time breathing without it. We got it put back in
right away and he did just fine, but he is definitely not ready to have it
out yet. We'll have to take it day by day.
He is an adorable and tough little

UPDATEApril 17, 2002
This is an update from the vet school at the University of Minnesota!

Subj: Harley
Date: 4/19/2002 4:44:17 PM Central Daylight Time
From: torf0001@UMN.EDU
To: pup3@aol.com

Harley is improving. He had a tracheostomy tube placed last friday due to
difficulty breathing and turning blue. His throat was very swollen and his
tonsils and larynx were swollen as well. Yesterday (4/16/02) we sedated
Harley and performed another oral exam. The back of his throat is still
very swollen and the cartilage around his trachea (windpipe) is collapsed
making his tracheal opening very small. This is probably why he turns blue
when excited. We are planning on performing another exam tomorrow to see
if there are any changes. We are also planning on pulling the tube at that
time to see how he does breathing through his mouth and nose. Otherwise,
Harley is doing great. He is eating and drinking well and is very happy
and active. He still has some scabs and pustules on his skin around his
face and ears but they are improved. He's a great little guy!

Update April 19, 2002

Subj: Harley
Date: 4/19/2002 4:44:17 PM Central Daylight Time
From: torf0001@UMN.EDU
To: pup3@aol.com

Harley is doing great and ready to go home today (Friday 4/19/02). His
hospital bill is around $2100.00. Hopefully, he will continue to do well
at home. He will need to have follow-up visits to monitor his skin
lesions. The first recheck will be in 2-3 weeks. Sooner if there are

Good Luck Harley!!

Update April 20, 2002

Subj: Harley
Date: 4/20/2002 7:36:31 AM Central Daylight Time
From: SSARVELA-HUGO@prodigy.net
Good Morning!
Well, I have a much improved Harley at home now. He
came home last night and I can see a vast difference
in him from the last time we tried this. His little
eyes (while still red and swollen) are sparkling and
he is busy "attacking" everything in sight to "shake
to death". He really likes toys and seems to eat
anything set in front of him. Being alive seems
important to him.

His little neck is still open and will be that way for
about a week. I have to be careful to keep it clean
and not let anything through the open hole! That takes
some getting used to, but is far better than trying to
keep him breathing.

All in all, I would say he is on the mend. And the
plus side is he appears to be almost potty trained! So
far his "happy turds" have been going out the door and
his piddle pad is dry. Wouldn't it be nice if that

It will be weeks, if not months, before he is ready to
go anywhere, so like I said before, Harley is going to
the lake with us. We will get him well and hair back
on his little head.

I will send you pictures later.
Have a good day.

Can you help us to help Baby Harley? His vet bills are estimated to be between $2200.00-$2500.00.
If you can help, here is how to do that online on our secure server.
Small Paws® Rescue: How to Donate Using a Credit Card

Or you may send your tax deductible donation, a check or money order to:
Small Paws® Rescue
3316 S. 72nd. W. Ave.
Tulsa, Oklahoma, 74107

One Year Later

Subj: Harley

Date: 4/14/2003 10:54:08 AM Central Daylight Time
From: ssarvela-hugo@prodigy.net
To: pup3@aol.com

I'm sitting her this morning remembering one year ago when we both met Puds (Harley to Small Paws®). I can't believe it has been a whole year already! I can remember very clearly holding him in my arms as he turned blue and struggled to breathe, then stopped breathing. When asked what puppy strangles is, I tell people that it is like having polio, mumps and measles all at once. I don't think either one of us really realized what puppy strangles was then. I can tell you I fully understand now! When his temperature went so high the vets had to flush water under his skin to cool him down, I remember you telling me "it would either cure him or kill him"!! You also told the vets that "Small Paws® doesn't lose puppies!". You were right, THANK GOD.

People still ask me about him and if it was all worth it. I thought you might like to see Harley's one year picture. Look at those eyes and tell me it wasn't worth it!! For all the pain and suffering he has been through, Puds is the most trusting, loving little guy you could ask for. He has some joint problems but we aren't sure they came from the puppy strangels. Otherwise he is a perfectly healthy little puppy. And as for the joint problems slowing him down--well guess again. He blitzes through the house "killing" his toys (he is a master at unstuffing anything!), relandscapes the lawn to his preferences at every opportunity and has chewed more shoes up than I care to admit to. To this day I walk around in hiking boots that have "teeth marks" in them. He is a very normal little guy who doesn't remember being so sick.Greg and I couldn't imagine our house without him. He has repaid us in so many ways so many times over.

On this one year anniversary both Greg and I want to thank you and Small Paws for not giving up on him. He is a joy to us and I hope you will be able to meet him in person someday. THANK YOU.

Small Paws® Rescue>